Monday, March 21, 2011

Man, I'm old!

Here’s what…

Man, I’m old!

Ok, I don’t really think this about myself…33 is definitely not old and, most of the time, I feel and act like I’m in my 20’s. (And thankfully I have good genes and most people say I look like I’m in my late 20’s!) But, sometimes, things do happen that make my sit up and admit, “Man, I’m old!” What things, you ask? Well, nothing as obvious as walking with a cane or wearing polyester, but an occasional hint at my age does come my way.

Like, when I’m out at a bar or club, enjoying a few drinks, listening to music, dancing, feeling like a young minx…when I realize that the music is just too loud, or the place is just too crowded, or I just can’t stand seeing another hot mess down a Jager shot…that’s when it hits me, “Man, I’m old!”

Like when my roommate and I have planned a movie night and suddenly its 11:30pm and we are just starting to watch an overly long epic like Benjamin Button and I know I won’t be in bed till 2:30am and I consider not even watching the movie cuz that is so late…that’s when I hear it… “Man, I’m old!”

Like when I’m in a production of a musical like The Will Rogers Follies and I’m expected to lay with my back on a small stair with my neck bent back over the stair to look at the audience while I do a slow fan kick split with my legs in the air followed by racing down the stairs to join a kickline and high kick for 12 counts of 8 and I remember how I never USED to have to warm up and I never USED to get sore doing this (back when I was the ripe old ages of 17 and 20) and now I want to sit in a Jacuzzi and get a massage after every performance…that’s when I feel it…“Man, I’m old!”

But, the newest, most recent hint came yesterday when LA was a rainy (make that monsoon-y) wonderland and I was staying put in my pj’s on the couch watching Season 3 of Arrested Development (nope, that’s not even the hint yet) I was sore and achy ALL day…and I’m not sick. It was the kind of sore that comes from deep in your bones. At one point I got up to open my sliding glass door and look out at the rain and as I hobbled my sore bones across the living room, I actually said, “Wow, this rain is major, I can feel it in my bones” Yikes!!! The ultimate “Man, I’m old!” moment! I felt it in my bones…oh boy, there goes my “young cred”…next stop, Florida!

So, while I am a vibrant and youthful 33, it seems I can’t hide from the fact that sometimes and in some situations, I’m old. But, I’m gonna embrace it and wear it…I may even hit the local thrift store and look for safari print polyester I can rock…so, keep your eyes peeled for my hot, old, polyester-clad self next time you’re out because…

Man, I’m old…and THAT’S WHAT!

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna tell you what's what...When I think of you I say "Man, she's HOT!!!" Love your blog, and LOVE YOU!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete