Monday, March 14, 2011

The Journey to Good Hair

Here’s What…

A girl will do a lot for good hair

Today I took 3 buses and a train to get my hair done! Well, it was also to have a playdate with one of my dear friends, but he is my stylist and is going to do my hair :) I am a girl who lives in LA and takes public transportation…yep it’s true. I sold my car last August and now rely on buses, trains, and my feet to get me where I need to go. It’s actually not as challenging as one might think although there are times when it can get slightly irritating. It has definitely caused me to prioritize where I want to/need to go and I save a bundle not paying for car insurance, registration, or gas!!

So, today I set off from my place in Mar Vista to make the journey over to Toluca Lake. This would only take about a ½ hour driving, but on public transpo the trip was an hour and a ½. I have been spoiled over the last 2 months as I have been able to borrow my Dad’s car to travel back and forth while I’ve been working in San Diego. But, now it’s back to the buses and joining the subculture of people who take them. And there definitely is a public transpo subculture!! Rolling suitcases are a big part of the equation, as are people fighting with someone on their cell phone, loud rap music playing out of an ipod, and even sometimes someone walking up and down the aisle ranting about some kind of worldly injustice. I’ll tell you one thing though, it’s never boring!

Sometimes I pretend I’m on vacation, like a tourist taking the public transpo in Chicago or Boston to go to some fun and exciting destination. Like Navy Pier or the USS Constitution. Ultimately, I’m in training for NYC…I’m hoping to move there later this year and now I’ll be an expert at living life with no car…taking bags of extra clothes, my computer, water bottles, snacks, and even a little airline bottle of rum with me on my travels (it has happened folks!)

My trip today included grabbing the Metro train at the Hollywood/Highland station…which is ALWAYS a treat! (Dynamite people watching on Hollywood Blvd…arguably the best around) I saw an Elmo, a Dora, and a Chuckie offering to take pictures with tourists for tips. Man, I should really get in on that action…I don’t have a job right now and I could use some income! Unfortunately, the only costume I own is an old Rainbow Brite Halloween costume…I wonder if anyone wants a picture with Rainbow Brite? Might be worth a try…

I also saw a sign warning about the Day of Judgment when apparently Jesus will be joining us all here on Earth…it is May 21st for those of you who may not have gotten the memo. Which means we have exactly 69 days to get our s*@# together. So, how did they come up with that date? What is the significance there? It is a Saturday night, so maybe Jesus wants to make sure he is in time for some nightlife (maybe martinis at Boa??)…but I would caution him to go easy…no one wants a hangover on a Sunday morning at church! Whatever the method used to determine the Day of Judgment, I’m just happy we at least get Cinco de Mayo in beforehand. (I’m just sayin’ I won’t be passing up one last enchilada)

So, here I sit at the Coffee Bean waiting for my friend to get home to get this hair thing going…I used to be blonde and just went to dark brunette on New Year’s Day…still getting used to it but committed to the change at least for the year…and being a trendy female (that’s debatable as I shop at Target) I don’t trust just anyone to touch my hair…which is why I find myself riding 3 buses and a train, sitting in a coffee shop waiting, and even worrying about the Day of Judgment all to get to my stylist’s house. 

Like I said, a girl will do a lot for beautiful hair…and THAT’S WHAT!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment